Modern Suture Anchor Techniques for Gluteus Medius Tear Repair With Concomitant Total Hip Arthroplasty Using the Direct Anterior and Posterior Approaches


Gluteus medius (GM) tears are currently a well-established source of pain and disability. However, their role in primary total hip arthroplasty (THA) in the setting of osteoarthritis (OA) has been underexamined in the literature. The purpose of this study was to report on short-term patient-reported outcome measurements (PROMs) for patients who underwent concomitant primary THA and GM repair. Data were prospectively collected from September 2011 and June 2017. Inclusion criteria were primary THA along with concomitant GM repair and complete follow-up for the Harris Hip Score, Forgotten Joint Score 12, Veterans RAND 12-item Health Survey both Physical and Mental, 12-item Short Form Survey both Physical and Mental (SF-12 P and SF-12 M), visual analog scale for pain, and patient satisfaction. Patients were excluded if they did not have follow-up. Thirty patients (30 hips) were included. Mean follow-up was 24.2±19.3 months. Twenty-nine (96.7%) patients were female. Mean age was 65.2±7.4 years. Mean body mass index was 31.1±5.9 kg/m2. The posterior approach was used for 16 (53.3%) cases and the anterior approach for the remaining 14 (46.7%). Two (6.7%) patients had a less than 25% tear, 7 (23.3%) had a 25% to 50% tear, 14 (46.7%) had a greater than 50% tear, and 7 (23.3%) had a full-thickness tear. All PROMs except SF-12 M demonstrated significant improvement at latest follow-up. Patients who underwent THA with either the anterior or the posterior approach with concomitant GM repair using modern suture anchor techniques reported favorable PROMs at short-term follow-up. [Orthopedics. 2021;44(5):e653-e660.].

Read More