Return to Activity After Gluteus Medius Repair in Active Patients Older Than 50 Years


Background: Gluteus medius (GM) tears are a known cause of dysfunction and disability predominantly in older women.

Purpose: To report on return to activity, patient-reported outcomes (PROs), and a uniquely calculated minimal clinically important difference (MCID) at a minimum 2-year follow-up for active patients who had undergone either an endoscopic or an open GM repair.

Study design: Case series; Level of evidence, 4.

Methods: Patients were considered eligible if they (1) underwent a GM repair with or without concomitant central and peripheral compartment procedures; (2) had baseline preoperative and minimum 2-year scores for the modified Harris Hip Score (mHHS), Nonarthritic Hip Score (NAHS), Hip Outcome Score-Sports Specific Subscale (HOS-SSS), and visual analog scale (VAS) for pain; and (3) participated in a physical activity or sport within 1 year before their surgery. Return to activity was defined as the patient being able to participate in his or her activity at a minimum of 2 years postoperatively.

Results: Of 87 eligible patients, 84 (96.6%) met all inclusion criteria. The mean follow-up was at 44.5 months. Six patients (7.1%) underwent an open GM repair, while the remaining 78 (92.9%) underwent an endoscopic GM repair. Concomitant central and peripheral compartment arthroscopic procedures were performed in 69 patients (82.1%). All PROs significantly (P < .001) improved as follows: mHHS, from 59.0 to 85.8; NAHS, from 57.9 to 84.0; HOS-SSS, from 32.6 to 63.7; and VAS pain, from 5.4 to 1.9. A total of 57 patients (67.9%) returned to their preoperative activity at the 2-year follow-up. The MCID was calculated for the mHHS, NAHS, and HOS-SSS to be 7.5, 7.4, and 10.9, respectively, with 79.3%, 86.4%, and 70.2% of patients achieving the MCID for each respective PROs.

Conclusion: Active patients over the age of 50 years may benefit from endoscopic or open repair of GM tears, as the majority of patients in our cohort were able to return to their activity of choice. All measured PROs had significantly improved at a minimum 2-year follow-up, with high survivorship, satisfaction, and clinical effectiveness. Patients with partial-thickness tears compared with full-thickness tears and those who underwent isolated GM repair compared with GM repair with concomitant procedures had similar return to activity rates and PROs at the latest follow-up.

Read More